[KaohsiungLiving] Kaohsiung Living Forum
Book club
  • squillsssquillss
    So, a few friends of mine and I were wondering whether there was a book club in Kaohsiung?  And if not, is there any interest out there in starting one? We were thinking of coming up with a list of books and then reading one / meeting once a month...any thoughts? 
  • RestlessHeartRestlessHeart
    Hi @squillss

I'm certainly interested. I live in the Sanmin district of Kaohsiung. =)

My only thought is that we could start listing some books that we want to read and see which ones intersect..

-Dave

P.s. I created a somewhat similar "book club" posting a couple months ago. You can check it here out if you're interested: http://kaohsiungliving.org/discussion/1265/wanted-novels#Item_12
  • ampwyoampwyo
    I'd be interested in something like this as well. I have a copy of 1Q84 by Murakami that I plan on cracking open at some point, as well as a few others on my reading list. I'm just about done with book 6 of the Wool series by Hugh Howey. If anyone would like to read 1Q84 with me I wouldn't mind having some outside motivation to start as its a 900+ page tome of a novel that I've been putting off for a while. Maybe a good book for a book club reading list, perhaps.

@RestlessHeart I looked at the other thread and wondered if you'd be opposed to electronic versions. I use an Amazon Kindle app on my smartphone and get books off the  kindle store and just read on my phone most the time. I picked up the wool omnibus pretty cheap from the kindle store, and downloaded some other books from some other sites and just added them manually when that wasn't an option. Not quite as nice as a physical copy but A LOT more convenient if you have an iphone or android, or even just on your pc.  
    Hi @ampwyo, I'll tell ya, I love reading real books! I don't know about you but I get easily distracted by digital devices... I think digital devices really activate my brain, while a physical book calms it down. Plus seeing that bookmark move forward over time inside a physical book is a real treat! 

I just looked up 1Q84 on Amazon - sounds intriguing.

I'm currently reading Ken Follett's "Fall of Giants" and when it's over I'm going to check out a library nearby that I've heard carries books in English.
  • edieedie
    I'm  interesting. 
    But my English is not good, can I join this club? I will do my best.
    :bz
  • daisyrhidaisyrhi
    I would up for joining a book club! I'm still new and love to read. I'm open to any book. Where is this library that carries English books? I've only been to Cave's Books off of Wufu that sells a decent selection of English titles.
    @daisyrhi I love Cave's books! I went there once and stayed for an hour. I ended up purchasing Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

I haven't checked out this library that loans books in English myself yet. I found out about it through visiting another local library that didn't carry books in English. From what I understand, it is in this area: http://goo.gl/maps/bAW5Q

I'll check the flyer tomorrow that the fellow gave me for the address or phone number, although I think the writing is all in Chinese.

Once I finish my current book, Fall of Giants, I will search for this library myself to see if the rumours are true!
  • arlenearlene
    @RestlessHeart if you do locate that library with the English books let me know where it is... I think a lot people here will benefit from having a place to go to check out some books in English without having to purchase them :) 
  • calimonkeycalimonkey
    Hi all,
             I also think it'll be a good idea for the mods to add a book club on here.
    A sub folder where you could add pics of the books you have and trade them with others. What do you all think of that?
  • ShananzShananz
    There's a library with a good-sized selection of English books in the Ecological District. Just get off Exit 2 on the MRT and walk straight - it's about 20 yards away. 

Also, a book club sounds awesome! Are you thinking of just an online book club or the coffee shop type? My only problem is that I forgot my kindle in the US so I'd have to read the books online or buy them if I can find them. I really want to read IQ84 though!
  • daisyrhidaisyrhi
    One of my co-workers just said today that she wanted to start a book club because she needs a little more mental stimulation than "an apple." LOL! I think a virtual trading library would be a great start, but I still would like to meet up with people to discuss a common book as well. I'm game for IQ84, as well...
    Here's an idea. Why don't we meet at the library that has all the English books on our first meetup? Or maybe a Starbucks? I'm certainly interested in meeting up in real life.
  • daisyrhidaisyrhi
    I'm down for that. Anyone want to throw out a date and time? I'm away this weekend.
  • terea112terea112
    I am interested as well. I was in a book club in the States before I left. It was always a good time.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.”~ Mahatma Ghandi
  • squillsssquillss
    Oh, man, did I drop the ball on this book-club idea...okay, guys, sorry about the delay, I really am going to try and get this thing started: 

First, it's great to see that there's a good amount of interest, you guys rock. 

Second, let's agree on a book for round one: IQ84 sounds like a cool idea, and, honestly, we probably shouldn't spend too much time deliberating or we'll never get around to reading. So, if everyone else is down, let's go with that. 

Third, my thought was to meet once a month, toward the end of the month, to discuss the book.  We're still really close to the beginning of December, so maybe we could plan a meeting for the last Sunday in December (the 30th). 

So, to sum up: everyone who's into it, read 1Q84 by December 30th, and plan to meet that day (Sunday) at a coffee shop location to be decided

Please message back to let me know who's on board.  Also, we can totally use this forum to discuss the book as we read, if people are interested. 

squillss
  • arlenearlene
    Great idea. Now to try and get my hands on 1Q84.

Perhaps @Lighthouse could add this as an "Announcement" for KL.org Book Club :)
  • LighthouseLighthouse
    i will do better then that @arlene ... watch this space :)
  • ampwyoampwyo
    I have this book in hardcover, i'll try to read it quickly or perhaps even "obtain" a kindle copy so someone can borrow my real copy if needed
  • ElaineElaine
    I definitely want to join this book club, good choice on murakami as a first read. @ampwyo could I borrow your copy once you're done? I'm a pretty fast reader so I can probably finish it within a week and return it to you. Or if anyone else has a spare copy, and wouldn't mind sharing, please message me.
  • arlenearlene
    I'd like to borrow your book as well @ampwyo if it poses no problem. Or like @Elaine has stated if anyone has a copy they'd like to share :)
  • RaymonRaymon
    I have an EPUB available if you guy's know how to read it...
  • arlenearlene
    @Raymon what is an EPUB?
  • LighthouseLighthouse
    @arlene EPUB .... electronic publication ..... kindle / ebook readers etc .... you can also read these via your mobile etc .... 
    Thanked by 1arlene
  • arlenearlene
    @Lighthouse Thanks! I've never used an EPUB or Kindle thingy.. I guess it's time for me start learning how to use those things ;) 
  • LighthouseLighthouse
    @arlene ... i'll show you when you visit next on Princess's tablet :D
  • LighthouseLighthouse
    @Raymon ... can you please send the EPub to me for @arlene ? cheers Mo
    I'm certainly still keen on this idea! I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a paper copy of IQ84 sometime in the coming weeks, so that I can begin reading for a book club meetup.

-Dave
  • ampwyoampwyo
    I've mentioned this before but if you have a smartphone there is a Kindle app, its sooooooooo very convenient!
  • squillsssquillss
    @Raymon, that's awesome you have the .epub available...for anyone who's interested, I can loan you my .mobi file of the book as well.  Let me know. 
  • RaymonRaymon
    I have sent you both the .EBUB and .MOBI files @Lighthouse, please share them with @Arlene.

Greetings,

Raymon
  • RaymonRaymon
    Your welcome @Squilss :-)

Good luck with the book club
  • LighthouseLighthouse
    @Raymon Thank you ..... will def share with @arlene
  • RaymonRaymon
    your welcome @Lighthouse
  • arlenearlene
    I have no idea what .EBUB and .MOBI files are or what they do, but THANK YOU @Raymon :D  I think I'm about to get a lesson from @Lighthouse   ~O)  Be patient with me!
  • LighthouseLighthouse
    Have you emailed it?..... @Raymon 
  • RaymonRaymon
  • RaymonRaymon
    @Arlene, it's something like a PDF for ebook readers or mobile devices... ;-) I'm sure Lighthouse will help you figure it our :-)
  • ampwyoampwyo
    i found a .mobi file to read on my phone so my physical copy is available to someone who can't use the e-book format. @Elaine, @Arlene, @RestlessHeart where are you on that?
    When I get a bit of time I'm going to search for a paper based copy of the book to begin reading.
  • ElaineElaine
    @ampwyo I'd love to borrow your physical copy if no one else minds, I can hand it over to the next person after a week. If this sounds ok with everyone, we can arrange for a book pickup as soon as tomorrow. Let me know!
  • arlenearlene
    @Elaine I don't mind :) I have been meaning to download FireFox so that I can enjoy reading it on the computer, but now I'm not so sure. I don't know if I'd enjoy sitting in front of my laptop hours on end reading.. hehehe.. I still prefer to have a physical copy as I can tote it around wherever I please. I have a BlackBerry, but I don't want to use that to read. I will be on the lookout at some of the bookstores to see if I can find one selling a copy and let everyone here know.
  • LighthouseLighthouse
    @arlene borrow princess's Tablet ;)

Thanked by 1arlene
  • LighthouseLighthouse
    AS promised ... your own Category guys.

hope that is ok.

MO
    Thanked by 1ampwyo
  • ampwyoampwyo
    @Elaine check your messages :)
  • ElaineElaine
    @ampwyo Thanks for the message! @arlene I should be picking up the book tomorrow, will dive in and start reading then and let you know as soon as I manage to finish it in case you still need a hard copy a week from now. :)
  • arlenearlene
    Sounds good @Elaine!
  • ElaineElaine
    @arlene I've finished IQ84, it's a whopping 900 pages, quite a roller coaster ride. If you still need the hard copy let me know and we can arrange a swap in the next two days. :)
    I'm the kind of reader that takes a few months to finish a book! I'm really interested in reading this book. I'm looking for a book club that can go out to the movies once a month and talk about the book that's been read every second month or otherwise when everyone has finished it! :)

-Dave
  • arlenearlene
    I got a copy of IQ84 from @Elaine last week Friday and I haven't even started. I've been up to my eyeballs with things to do all weekend.... I need to get started. I doubt I'll be able to finish it within a week with my schedule...... :-S
  • sugarbearsugarbear
    Hey there, I am new here.  Seems like there's a lot of book lovers here.  Has the book club started yet?  For a long time, I've been searching for a group like this.  How can I join the book club?  Happy New year to all!   
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Chinese Idiom

一丝不苟

yī sī bù gǒu

to be meticulous

Top Posters